Tips to Help Your Hearing Aids Last Longer

Tips to Help Your Hearing Aids Last Longer

Hearing aids are an investment, but given all the compounded consequences likely to arise when you fail to treat your hearing loss with the gravity it deserves, such an investment should be a no-brainer. Almost 13% of all Americans live with some detectable degree of hearing less, yet less 20% of these people actually take action to address it. The other 80% most commonly downplay its severity or completely deny its existence. But failure to treat hearing loss risks not only ones physical safety, but their mental and emotional health as well. It unnecessarily complicates one’s social and professional opportunities and eventually unravels into damaging one’s overall quality of life. 

But none of this suffering is necessary at all when one can just admit to themselves the importance of seeking help. No two cases of hearing loss are exactly the same, so no two treatment plans will be exactly the same. Contemporary hearing aids offer a vast array of customizable options to choose from. A specialist will help you determine exactly what is best for your unique condition, needs, and budget. 

Once you have committed a made the investment in hearing aids, obviously you want the best returns on your investment. Like all machines, hearing aids do wear out over time. You can loosely count on your hearing aids needing to be replaced every five years. Depending on your lifestyle and circumstances, the lifespan of your hearing aids can of course be shorter, maybe three years, and they can commonly last seven years. 

Your audiologist will provide you with the simple tools necessary to keep your hearing aids operating at their prime. Following these simple tips with diligence will help you increase your hearing aids’ lifespan.

Daily Cleaning

You will be using your hearing aids every waking hour of every day, so it is no wonder that they get dirty. Dirt, dust, moisture, and earwax can clog your hearing aids, so the primary requirement to making your hearing aids last longer is to simply clean them each day. Just five minutes before bed will improve the sound quality and extend the life of your hearing aids.

Use a soft, dry cloth to wipe them down. Inspect them for earwax and remove it. Check the battery doors and contact ports and leave the battery door open overnight so that any excess moisture will dissipate. 

Once a week, clean the tubing with warm water then air dry it before reattaching. 

Keep Your Hearing Aids Dry

Moisture is the worst culprit your hearing aids will face. The electronics are delicate and moisture can short circuit any little part of it. Be sure to remove your hearing aids before bathing, swimming, or going out in the rain and keep them in a dehumidifier overnight. 

Battery Life

Removing your batteries and leaving the battery doors open every night will significantly extend your batteries’ life, saving you time, energy, and money.  

Replace Worn Out Parts

Many contemporary hearing aid models rely on similar components that can be replaced simply by yourself at home. Styles vary, but most hearing aids have a small tube that runs from the hearing aid into your ear canal. This can be replaced simply at home when it becomes clogged. The filter that covers the earpiece is another example of an easily replaceable part that frequently receives minor damage. By keeping up with replacing these small components as necessary, you can increase your hearing aids’ overall lifespan. 

Take Them in For Servicing Whenever Necessary

You will occasionally notice minor changes in the smooth functioning of your hearing aids. When you do, do not delay before taking them in for servicing right away. Most audiologists will recommend that you come in twice a year for hearing tests and adjustments. Be sure to keep up with this. In some cases your hearing aids may be operating just fine, but your hearing is changing. Think of this like glasses. It is not uncommon at all for someone’s vision to gradually decay so of course their prescription evolves. 

Many people may not recognize it, but hearing health is as fundamental to your overall health as a healthy diet, proper exercise, and a good night’s rest. Be sure to do everything you can to guarantee you are living your life to its greatest potential. 

Kenneth H. Wood, BC-HIS

Request a Callback

With so many myths and misinformation about hearing loss and hearing care, it’s often the unknowns or confusion that holds us back from making the right decisions.

That’s why we have a hearing care expert available to help.

If you have a question, or would like to speak to a professional privately about the challenges that you may be facing, then simply request a callback and we’ll call you for a friendly no-obligation conversation.